Today, we’re in Fletcher, North Carolina, with Troy Ball, the author of Pure Heart, A Spirited Tale of Grace, Grit, and Whiskey. Troy is the founder of Troy and Sons, makers of the first American Moonshine, at Asheville Distilling. She is the very first woman in the country to found a whiskey distillery.
Troy was raised a teetotaler. She had her very first sip of alcohol at the age of forty when she and her husband took a trip to France, and she decided to try a glass of wine. Now, she’s distilling her very own brand of award-winning white whiskey. Tune in today, to hear Troy’s story and find out what motivated her to start bringing her dreams to fruition.
- Troy explains what made her wonder if…
- The unique gifts that one of the Asheville locals gave her, to welcome her to the small rural town.
- The first moonshine that Troy tried out in Asheville was rot-gut terrible! That was how the seed was planted for her to start making her own fine white whiskey.
- Troy is the very first woman in America to found a whiskey distillery.
- Before prohibition, North Carolina had the most licensed distilleries of any state in the country.
- Doing a lot of research to find out about all the different aspects of moonshine.
- Troy first decided to try her hand at distilling moonshine eleven years ago, using white corn.
- One of her best memories from the whiskey world.
- The recipe for a Mountain Margarita: 1 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, 1/4 oz fresh orange juice, 1 1/2 oz Troy & Sons Platinum Whiskey, 1/4 oz St. Germaine, sweetened with agave nectar.
- Troy’s most challenging moment in the whiskey industry.
- It’s very difficult to get a federal permit.
- Resources are the people who know more than you know. Troy is all about sharing.
- Luck is an attitude.
- Some great advice for young entrepreneurs.
- Changing people’s lives with Brainy, an incredible patented herbal supplement to benefit the brain. With no chemicals!
Links and resources:
Asheville Distilling – Troy & Sons – https://ashevilledistilling.com/
Mentioned – The Luck Factor by Richard Wiseman
Troy Ball recommendations for restaurants in Asheville that also serve Troy and Son’s:
Curate – Katie Button Restaurants
Rhubarb – Rhubarb Ashville
Chestnut – Chestnut Restaurant
Fig Bistro – Fig Bistro, Asheville
The recipe for a Mountain Margarita:
1 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, 1/4 oz fresh orange juice, 1 1/2 oz Troy & Sons Platinum Whiskey, 1/4 oz St. Germaine, sweetened with agave nectar.